top ad

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Possible power boost for 2015 for the Scion FRS, Toyota GT86 and Subaru BRZ?

According to a recent interview with Tetsuya Tada, the chief engineer behind the 86 platform, they are working on ways to give the 86 MOAR POWA!  The possible options are a turbocharger, larger displacement engine (2.5L boxer) or a special hybrid system.  The bigger engine is probably going to be the most likely result since it will be the most cost efficient way to increase the power without adding too much complexity to the drive train.  Let alone, the large increase in weight that a hybrid system would add.  Oh, and the larger price tag.

According to Tada, they are currently testing all formats at the Toyota proving grounds.  He hopes to do at least one engine upgrade to this platform during it's life cycle.  The 2.5L would possibly boost power from the 200hp now to around 250-260hp.  That would be very nice!

Here's a link to an article with some parts of the interview.

This is one of the reasons that I decided to lease my FRS.  My lease will be maturing at the end of May in 2015.  Depending on what actually happens with the 86, will determine what I do with my car.  Right now I am just doing some easy bolt-on modifications that are easily reversible so if I return my car after the lease is over, I won't have a bunch of hard work ahead of me.  Now if this doesn't come to reality, then I think I may be buying out my lease and do some more significant upgrades.  I really like the Innovate Supercharge and that would likely be the first major mod that I do.

Only time will tell, so I guess we will have to sit back and wait and see how this develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment